Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 23, 2011

All Education Matters: Indentured Educated Men

All Education Matters: Indentured Educated Men:

Indentured Educated Men

I've written about indentured educated women, and opened up about my own fears of being indebted and unable to ever have a child or own a home. But such worries and fears aren't held by women alone.

Can you pitch in $10 to help AEM return to D.C. in November?

I believe that, in many ways, gender is constructed by culture and complex socializing processes. Whether we like it or not, we experience the world through the lens of gender. Moreover, people judge us, respond to us, and interact with us in different ways as a result of our gender. For instance, I have been, and am, treated in both demoralizing and positive ways because I am a woman. We have all had such experiences, regardless of our gender (those who are transgendered, most likely, experience these moments in even more profound ways). Such things, as we're all aware, happen to minorities as well. However, I don't wish to wander off into a cultural studies critique about whether or not gender is a cultural construct. (In saying that, I am not dismissing that type