Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 28, 2011

#SOSMarch An Urban Teacher's Education: SOS Conference Day One

An Urban Teacher's Education: SOS Conference Day One

SOS Conference Day One

Today, the first day of the SOS Conference in DC, I had the privilege of being around some phenomenal people and having some very interesting conversations.

The day began with a talk by Jonathan Kozol. Although he's always been one of the people I've looked up to most in the education world (and I learned today just how many others have too), I was even further impressed by his ability to address a crowd. He gave a riveting talk. He demonstrated an ability to be sensitive and genuine in his description of his time in the classroom and, at the same time, intensely passionate about his anger and frustration with the ongoing catastrophic inequities that continue to plague public education. For me, his compassion, tenderness, and commitment to this cause came through even more clearly than when I read his books.

I moved on to a lecture by Texas Superintendant John Kuhn. Kuhn has written and spoken out widely on destructive state and federal policies that have hurt him and his students. He's even published an ebook that you