Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 8, 2011

Private Choices, Public Policy & Other Peoples’ Children « School Finance 101

Private Choices, Public Policy & Other Peoples’ Children « School Finance 101

Private Choices, Public Policy & Other Peoples’ Children

I don’t spend much if any time talking about my personal decisions and preferences on this blog. It’s mostly about data and policy. There’s been much talk lately about whether a Governor’s or President’s choice to send their children to elite private schools, or where Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg or prominent “ed reformers” attended school are at all relevant to the current policy conversation around “reforming” public schools. When those choices have been questioned publicly, they’ve often been met with the backlash that those are personal choices of no relevance to the current policy debate – just dirty personal attacks about personal, rational choices.

I have no problem with these personal choices. But, these personal choices may, in fact be relevant to the current policy debate. I do keep in mind my own personal choices and preferences as I evaluate what I believe to be good policy for the children of others. And, I try to keep in mind what I know from my background in research and policy when I make my personal choices. Like these prominent politicos and pundits, I too choose private independent schools – relatively expensive ones – for my children, and I have my reasons for doing so. As I’ve noted on my blog on a number of occasions, I taught at an exceptional private independent