Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I Want a Humble Revolution « Cooperative Catalyst

I Want a Humble Revolution « Cooperative Catalyst

I Want a Humble Revolution

After reading a previous post, I’m not sure I agree with the distinction between progressive and populist with regards to the reform movement. I don’t see myself as either populist, if populism means class warfare and an outright rejection of all “the elite.” We’re in a dangerous place when we define ourselves by being different than others (which I suppose I’m doing right now) and attempt, even for a moment, to speak for “the people.”

I can’t speak for the oppressed – not loudly at least. I’m still learning from my students, trying to understand their culture and trying to make sense out of our community. If populism means attempting to speak “for the people” rather than “alongside the people,” that’s not where I want to be.

I can’t call myself progressive, either. Political progressivism and the belief in a utopian paradise got us into two world wars. If we define progressive educationally, I’m still a skeptic. Yes, it’s the tradition of Dewey and authenticity, but it’s progressive education had its share of “white man’s burden” and well-intentioned