Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 2, 2011

Please Help My Student Achieve Her American Dream « Outside the Cave

Please Help My Student Achieve Her American Dream « Outside the Cave

Please Help My Student Achieve Her American Dream

In many ways, I am the American Dream. My great-grandparents all immigrated to this country in abject poverty, fleeing religious persecution in Eastern Europe. My grandparents were born in the 1920’s in the shadow of Pittsburgh steel mills. Each of my grandfathers proudly served during World War II, and upon their return to the United States, they were thanked by our country with the passing of the GI Bill, which paid for them to become the first members of their families, along with their brothers, to attend college. This in turn enable my parents to grow up in the middle class. Both my sister and I are incredibly blessed to have had those privileges and educational opportunities passed down to us.

Over the past five years, I have had the amazing experience of helping dozens and dozens of students in the Bronx become the first in their families to attend college (as well, of course, of helping many who were not the first), taking them each one step closer to achieving their American dreams. As 83% of our students live below