Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 2, 2011

Jeff Goldstein: September 8 and September 11: Joy, Pain, and Hope

Jeff Goldstein: September 8 and September 11: Joy, Pain, and Hope

September 8 and September 11: Joy, Pain, and Hope


I'll remember Tuesday September 8, 2009 for quite a long time. My Jordi turned 7. How can that be? It seems like only yesterday I took my wife Kathy to the hospital, both of us thankful that he wasn't going to be born on September 11. And now he's 7! -- looking for experiences under every rock, challenging his mom and dad to keep up. He is just a joy to behold.

Last Tuesday, it wasn't just his birthday, it was his first day back at school. He was giddy with excitement when I drove him to school. He was going to see all his classmates he'd missed all summer. I walked him to class and he was bouncing off the walls. He also was given a gift that day. He sat down with his school and listened to the President of the United States, who spoke of the power of education. He spoke of a student's obligation to themselves, to their family, and to their country. He spoke to Jordi and his generation, and challenged them to reach within themselves and aspire to do great things. I believe deeply in those words. I also believe in those that tirelessly and patiently nurture our children so they can indeed aspire to great things. I believe in teachers. I am so very thankful