Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yong Zhao » Blog Archive » A Nation At Risk: Edited by Yong Zhao

Yong Zhao » Blog Archive » A Nation At Risk: Edited by Yong Zhao

A Nation At Risk: Edited by Yong Zhao

10 MARCH 2011 145 NO COMMENT

A Nation At Risk – April 1983

Edited by Yong Zhao, March, 2011

Next month marks the 28th anniversary of the publication of A Nation At Risk, one of the most influential education documents in the US history. As an English language learner, I have always been impressed with the prose and composition of this document, although I have raised questions about its content in my book.

The title of the document captures the present condition of American education very well. The goals and aspirations are well stated and I agree with them. But what I don’t agree is the indicators of risk, i.e. student test scores by and large, which after almost 30 years, have been proven to be irrelevant, as I have argued in my book. The real risk America faces is the insane policies and scapegoating practices in education. So I decided to edit the document. I have replaced what I think misleading and misconceived phrases,