Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Expanded gambling okay in NJ, but only if it involves gambling on teachers’ jobs! « School Finance 101

Expanded gambling okay in NJ, but only if it involves gambling on teachers’ jobs! « School Finance 101

Expanded gambling okay in NJ, but only if it involves gambling on teachers’ jobs!

I may be the only one in New Jersey who had a twisted enough view of today’s news stories to pick up on this connection. Seemingly irrelevant to my blog, today, the Governor of New Jersey vetoed a bill that would have approved online gambling. At the same time, the Governor’s teacher effectiveness task force released its long-awaited report. And it did not disappoint. Well, I guess that’s a matter of expectations. I had very low expectations to begin with – fully expecting a poorly written, ill-conceived rant about how to connect teacher evaluations to test scores – growth scores – and how it is imperative that a large share of teacher evaluation be based on growth scores. And I got all of that and more!!!!!

I have written about this topic on multiple occasions.

For the full series on this topic, see: http://schoolfinance101.wordpress.com/category/race-to-the-top/value-added-teacher-evaluation/

And for my presentation slides on this topic, including summaries of the relevant research, see: