Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dorn: Gregoire's education plan 'a smokescreen'

Dorn: Gregoire's education plan 'a smokescreen'
Dorn: Gregoire's education plan 'a smokescreen'

Picture
Dorn

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Randy Dorn was not amused by Gov. Chris Gregoire's plan to overhaul Washington's public school system.

He released the following statement shortly after Gregoire's Wednesday news conference:

In a press conference this morning, Gov. Chris Gregoire proposed creating a state Department of Education that would oversee the many "silos" that make up our entire education system, from early learning to K-12 to higher education.

I'm pleased that the Governor is focused on education, and I have worked closely with her on many issues. I agree wholeheartedly that we need to streamline some of the processes.

I'm concerned, first of all, that I heard the proposal the same time as the media did. The conversation I had with the Governor this morning did not reflect what she said