Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Norm's Notes: Barbara Miner's article on Teach for America from the soon-to-be released Spring issue of Rethinking Schools

Norm's Notes: Barbara Miner's article on Teach for America from the soon-to-be released Spring issue of Rethinking Schools

Barbara Miner's article on Teach for America from the soon-to-be released Spring issue of Rethinking Schools


24 n SPRING 2010
Looking Past the Spin
Most Teach for America recruits are idealistic and dedicated. But who is behind the organization, and does its approach bolster or hinder urban education reform?
BY BARBARA MINER
Barbara Miner is a journalist based in Milwaukee, Wis
It is late at night, foggy and misty, and road construction has forced me off the interstate into downtown St. Louis. My Google directions are useless and I follow my nose, heading west on city streets to my hotel. I go past abandoned buildings, lonely gas stations, dimly lit res cue missions. I think of stopping to ask directions, but the neighbor hood’s desolation gives me pause; it’s hard to find an open business, let alone any people walking about.
I am driving from Milwaukee to St. Louis for an article on Teach for America, to get a first-hand take on what is a media star in urban education reform. As I drive past yet another building with flaking paint and board ed-up windows, my cynicism grows. Do people honestly think that sending Ivy League graduates into the St. Lou is schools for two years will somehow unlock the academic achievement that is seen as a cornerstone of rebuilding our cities? Can the antidote to educa tional inequity, urban disinvestment, and neighborhood decay really be so simple?
As my thoughts wander, I try to re gain focus: I am writing a story about Teach for America and education re form, not the abandonment of low-income communities of color. They are two separate issues. Or so I keep reminding myself.
Two weeks later, back in Milwaukee after scores of interviews with TFA teachers and staff and with non-TFA educators and policy makers, I am still groping towards an understanding of the organization. I have come to dis tinguish between the generally hard-working, smart, and idealistic TFA classroom teachers, and a national organization that is as sophisticated, slippery, and media savvy as any group I have ever written about. TFA is per ceived as a major player in the educa tion wars over the future of public schools, and a key ally of those who disparage teacher unions and schools of education, and who are enamored of entrepreneurial reforms that bolster the privatization of a once-sacred pub lic responsibility.
But what exactly is TFA’s role in these education wars? Who is direct ing the organization and to what ends? More importantly, what is TFA’s role in improving urban education?