Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Brains, in Concert � Chalkdust101

Brains, in Concert � Chalkdust101

Brains, in Concert

Making the switch from being a teacher to becoming an administrator in education is supposed to be one that is wrought with conflicted feelings, guilt, and a sense of regret. When I made the move a few years back, I’ll admit I was ignorant of those feelings. What I was keenly aware of was that I wanted to see what was around that corner.
It’s only been two years and change, but I can tell you that I have seen what was around this corner, and I’ve seen a lot of what is not around this corner. Today was a very reminder of why I chose to take the peek initially.

“Those who say it cannot be done shouldn’t interrupt the people doing it.

Decisions need to be made, often times by individuals who have weighed the input given to them by educated stakeholders, and I completely understand that. However, getting everyone in a room, and powering through a


Grey Matter, Grey Areas.

Jenna asked a poignant question of Drs. Hammond and Miller:
Outside of test prep, does the traditional 5-paragraph essay have any place in learning today?
It was great question to ask those who deal with our students and their writing once they leave us, and its


I Think, Therefore I Write.

Today I spent the afternoon in the company of Dr. Richard Miller and Dr. Paul Hammond from Rutgers University.  I had asked Dr. Miller to come speak to our English Department regarding the shifts they saw in writing, composing, and learning.
In my conversations leading up to today with Dr. Miller, I found out that the Expository Writing Class at Rutgers is a course that nearly 85% of all Freshman take, with only those testing out via AP exams the exceptions.