Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 29, 2009

California's future demands bigger investment in schools


California's future demands bigger investment in schools:

"A story on National Public Radio's Web site about MySpace and Facebook recently quoted students from the Urban School of San Francisco."

I teach at Urban, and what stung me was its description as "an elite private school." As a journalist and teacher, this kind of thing gets under my skin.

With tuition at $30,800 a year, it's inevitable that Urban will be stereotyped as a prep school for smarties who exist in a parallel universe of privilege. But as someone who has spent several years teaching in public schools, I also know that California's per-pupil spending rate of $7,571 a year - watch out, Mississippi, we're racing you to the bottom - doesn't provide even the basics, let alone enough for a truly decent education. My hometown of Milwaukee spends twice as much, and still only 46 percent of high school students graduate. The fact is that we could and probably should be spending four times as much on public education as we do now.

At Urban, I'm rarely impressed by excess, just by thoughtful teaching, the resources to support it and kids who work so hard that I sometimes have to tell them to slow down. But stereotypes persist. When I got my job at Urban, a friend who works at a community college promptly checked my delight. "Isn't that the fancy private school in the Haight?" she asked. "How nice for you."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/29/IN2H1ALA7P.DTL#ixzz0YG2fmrNf