Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 8, 2022

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

  Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007



Saturday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos About School Reopenings
Pixaline / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: 12 Oakland schools closed as 500 teachers out amid sickout, omicron surge https://t.co/wldqnUo93q — Larry Ferlazzo (@Larryfer
“How Teachers Are Coping With Omicron”
How Teachers Are Coping With Omicron is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Using strategies that enhance student autonomy and increasing opportunities to have fun are ways to help students manage pandemic stress. Here are some excerpts:
Classroom Instruction Resources Of The Week
Each week, I publish a post or two containing three or four particularly useful resources on classroom instruction, and you can see them all here. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES ON INSTRUCTION IN 2021 – PART ONE . Here are this week’s picks: How Math Journals Help Students Process Their Learning is from Edutopia. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Writing In Math Class .
A Look Back: A Piece I Wrote For Ed Wk On “the Princess Leia approach to teacher-parent conversations”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . Believe it or not, in 2011 I wrote a piece for Education Week Teacher on “the Princess Leia approach to teacher-parent conversations.” Ed Week headlined it What ‘Star Wars’ Can Teach Educators About Parent Engagement . I’m obviously a

JAN 06

Friday’s New Tweets & Articles On School Reopenings
janjf93 / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Schools sticking with in-person learning scramble for subs is from the Associated Press. Staff shortages – especially of subst
This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Ed Policy Issues
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in seeing all my “Best” lists related to education policy here ): An argument for why school vouchers harm American civic life appeared in The Washington Post. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning Why School Vouchers Are A Bad Idea (& Other Commentaries On “Choice”) . California l
New NASA Video: “Hubble’s Grand Tour of the Outer Solar System”
Comfreak / Pixabay Here’s how NASA describes this new video: From its vantage point high above Earth’s atmosphere, NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope has completed its annual grand tour of the outer solar system – returning crisp images that are almost as good as earlier snapshots from interplanetary spacecraft. This is the realm of the giant planets — Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune – extending

JAN 05

This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t”
I’ve reviving this regular feature that I used to post a few years ago…. I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help m
Infographic Of The Week: “The Global Chasm In Indigenous Life Expectancy”
dlewisnash / Pixabay I’ve been sharing an infographic or two each week, and you can find previous ones here . You might also be interested in all my “Best” lists on infographics. This week’s depressing one comes from Statistica. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For International Day Of The World’s Indigenous People . You will find more infographics at Statista
Thursday’s New Articles & Tweets About School Reopenings
Viki_B / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Chicago public school classes are canceled after teachers union backs remote learning is from NPR. This is a good example of wh
A Look Back: “The manipulation of Social Emotional Learning”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . In 2014, The Washington Post published a piece I wrote headlined The Manipulation Of Social Emotional Learning. I’ve since elaborated on the point at The Best Resources Showing Social Emotional Learning Isn’t Enough .
Four New Teaching Resources About The Jan. 6th Insurrection
If you haven’t already figured out how you are going to teach tomorrow about the January 6th Insurrection, here are new additions to WAYS TO TEACH ABOUT The Jan. 6th INSURRECTION – SHARE YOUR OWN Here’s a lesson from Facing History published a year after the event. How will you cover the events of January 6 in your classroom? For the next few days, we’ll be posting lessons and content to help sit

JAN 04

“18 Pieces of Advice for Doing Teacher Observations the Right Way”
18 Pieces of Advice for Doing Teacher Observations the Right Way is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Holding pre- and post-conferences, showing more compassion and less judgment, and organizing peer observations are valuable. Here are some excerpts:
Wednesday’s New Articles On School Reopenings
7089643 / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Newsom promised 6 million COVID tests for students. Only half have arrived is from The L.A. Times. Philadelphia’s COVID case h
A Look Back: “Teaching Argument Writing to ELLs”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . In 2014, Katie Hull-Sypnieski and I co-authored a piece in ASCD Educational Leadership titled Teaching Argument Writing to ELLs. I’ve written several articles for ASCD Educational Leadership over the years. Here are links to a few of m
What are you Doing – or Trying to do – to Sustain you & Your Students in the Face of Omicron?
“” is a special question-of-the-week at my Education Week Column. Are you interested in contributing a 300-700 word response to this question(s)? What are you doing – or trying to do – to sustain your morale and the morale of your students in the face of Omicron? What are you doing – or trying to do – to sustain any kind of learning momentum you had built up before the Winter Break? If you are, a

JAN 03

A Look Back: “Why Viewing Classroom Management as a Mystery Can Be a Good Thing”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . In 2015, Routledge published the third book in my student motivation series, Building A Community Of Self-Motivated Learners: Strategies To Help Students Thrive In School and Beyond . Education Week published an excerpt from the chapte
Jan. 27th Is International Holocaust Remembrance Day – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources
peter89ba / Pixabay From The U.S. Memorial Holocaust Museum : The United Nations General Assembly designated January 27—the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau —as International Holocaust Remembrance Day . On this annual day of commemoration, the UN urges every member state to honor the six million Jewish victims of the Holocaust and millions of other victims of Nazism and to deve
Tuesday’s Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
janeb13 / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: I think we’ll c more of tchrs taking direct action in face of lack of skilled dist leadership. Last yr tchrs in all our dist s

JAN 02

A Look Back: “A Surprising Study Only To People Who Have Never Worked In The Community: Low-Income People Care About Their Neighborhoods”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . I wrote this post in 2013: Neighborhood Residents With Lowest Incomes Most Likely to Care About Their Communities is the title of an article summarizing a new research study: “We hypothesized that individuals with higher incomes would
Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 22,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2020 Here
Classroom Instruction Resources Of The Week
Each week, I publish a post or two containing three or four particularly useful resources on classroom instruction, and you can see them all here. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES ON INSTRUCTION IN 2021 – PART ONE . Here are this week’s picks: Putting Personality on Paper: Our New Profile Contest is from The NY Times Learning Network. Why some California school districts are cha
Monday’s New Articles On School Reopenings
mohamed_hassan / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Schools adapt for return from break as COVID-19 cases surge is from The Associated Press. L.A. County public and privat

JAN 01

Sunday’s New Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
ooceey / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: I think schools are going to do everything possible to avoid going remote, and I do think most will be successful. But if a dis
A Look Back: “How To Turn A Negative Consequence Into A Positive Classroom Management Strategy”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post appeared in 2014: Anyone who has regularly read this blog or my books know that I’m a big believer in “positive,” not “punitive,” classroom management strategies (see The Best Posts On Classroom Management ). At the same time
Students Creating New Year’s Resolutions Can Be Great Lessons & Here Are A Ton Of Ideas
geralt / Pixabay Having students create New Year’s resolutions have always been great lessons for my classes. You can find a ton of related resources, including lesson plans, at The Best Ways To Help Make Your New Year’s Resolutions Succeed . I usually combine it with one of the goal sheets you can find at Best Posts On Students Setting Goals .

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007