Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Poetry of Teaching | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

The Poetry of Teaching | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

The Poetry of Teaching
Why a poem? Because in writing posts for this blog and for books I have written over the past half-century, I have used expository writing. I describe, analyze, and try to capture school reform, policy-making, and the practice of teaching using facts, evidence, and explanation. It is aimed at the brain, not emotions.
Yet art, dance, drama, short stories, novels, and poetry–even cartoons–can capture features of teaching and learning, particularly what teachers and students feel when in classrooms in ways that exposition cannot.
I am neither a poet nor an aspiring one. I offer these as ones that stirred me, that captured in vivid language what teachers and students feel and do. CONTINUE READING: The Poetry of Teaching | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice