Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Father’s Day 2019: A Reminder to Read Aloud to Your Children | Live Long and Prosper

Father’s Day 2019: A Reminder to Read Aloud to Your Children | Live Long and Prosper

Father’s Day 2019: A Reminder to Read Aloud to Your Children
An annual Father’s Day post…with updates and additions.
READING ALOUD
I read aloud to my students from the very first day I taught at an elementary school beginning in January 1976. I had caught the read-aloud bug from the late Lowell Madden, one of my Education School Professors. I had it reinforced by Jim Trelease, whose Read Aloud Handbook is a treasure of information for anyone who is interested in reading aloud to children. [I’ve referenced Jim Trelease quite a few times on this blog.]
I read aloud to all my classes because reading aloud is simply one of the best tools we have to help children learn to read. Reading is, arguably, the single most important skill a child learns in school.
Jim Trelease, in The Read Aloud Handbook reminded us [emphasis added]
In 1985, the commission [on Reading, organized by the National Academy of Education and the National Institute of Education and funded under the U.S. Department of Education] issued its report, Becoming a Nation of Readers. Among its primary findings, two simple declarations rang loud and clear:

“The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children.”

The commission found conclusive evidence to support reading aloud not only in the home but also in the classroom: “It is a practice that should CONTINUE READING: Father’s Day 2019: A Reminder to Read Aloud to Your Children | Live Long and Prosper