Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 5, 2014

for the love of learning: Bring Your Own Device: It's awesome except for the inequity

for the love of learning: Bring Your Own Device: It's awesome except for the inequity:




Bring Your Own Device: It's awesome except for the inequity

It's the end of my first week at my new school and it has been awesome!


I'm teaching six classes. Two grade 6 social studies, two grade 6 language arts and two grade 8 social studies. 

For grade 6, I am teaching two classes language arts and social studies, so I told them to just call our class humanities -- that way they never need to ask me if we are doing language arts or social studies because we are usually doing both.

As we start up the school year, we discussed what we will and won't be doing in our classroom. Some of this included the physical space, which I blogged about here

One of the big topics of discussion was electronic devices. 

My school has a free guest wifi network that has no password, and the school rule is that students may use their devices in class if they have their teachers permission. I told my students that if they are using their phone appropriately then they have my permission -- even if they didn't officially ask -- but if they are using it inappropriately, then they do not have my permission, even if they did ask.

This led to a discussion about texting. Here's what we came up with.

If they are using their device in class and they receive a text or a notification, we agreed that it only takes 2 seconds to read it, so reading it is ok. But we agreed that they would not reply to the text or the notification unless it was an emergency. If it's an emergency, they are to come and speak with me and then together we would decide on whether an immediate reply is appropriate.

I told my students that I can't be looking over their shoulders to make sure they follow through with this. I told them that I trust them, which I do. I'm prepared to trust kids until I am provided with evidence that suggests that I can't. I also said unlike when they are holding an actual book or paper, I can't easily identify what they are doing, so they may need to show me their screen and explain to me what they are up to.

It's been two days. Here's what I've seen.

During silent, free reading not every student that had a device used it, but some did:
  • Jackson went to Wikipedia to read about small engines and how they work
  • Brayden researched the history of books and how they were made and printed
  • Lots of students are using an App called WattPad to read free stuff. I downloaded the App and started playing around with it. Looks like its free and offers tons of different genres for students to read. Lots of potential here.

When we were designing our portfolios (plain manilla folder), many students searched for for the love of learning: Bring Your Own Device: It's awesome except for the inequity: