Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 9, 2013

NEA, AFT, Common Core, and VAM | deutsch29

NEA, AFT, Common Core, and VAM | deutsch29:

NEA, AFT, Common Core, and VAM

November 9, 2013
I have been wondering about “the unions”– the two major national teachers unions– the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and the National Education Association (NEA). I have been told that ”the unions” are the major forces on the side of classroom teachers in this fight against the corporate takeover of American public education.
I want that to be true– but I cannot ignore what I am seeing.
I have been told not to question the unions– that my doing so could hinder their effectiveness in fighting “against reform.” I have been encouraged to “play nice.”
However, it seems that the line between national union and corporate reform has become a multi-million-dollar blur. Blurred lines between union and privatizer I find particularly disturbing.
I have been told that critically and publicly questioning the unions and union leadership  (dare I say, holding them accountable) is akin to crippling the unions in the fight against corporate reform.
My questioning the unions does not cripple them. The decisions of union leadership– especially their decisions tied to reformer dollars– are surely more powerful than any questions I could ask.
I am concerned about the unions’ accepting millions from billionaire reformers like Bill Gates.  I have been told that in their associations with corporate reform, the unions