Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The “Confessions of a Teaching Fellow” Were Spot On « Diane Ravitch's blog

The “Confessions of a Teaching Fellow” Were Spot On « Diane Ravitch's blog:


The “Confessions of a Teaching Fellow” Were Spot On

A previous post recounted “The Confessions of a Teaching Fellow” who described her revulsion at what she was expected to do. Soon after that post went up, another came from someone who said the writer of the original post was absolutely wrong. Here is confirmation for the teacher who spoke out:
I worked for the TFA program last summer as a supervising teacher (basically a baby-sitter for the TFA candidates who aren’t allowed to be in a classroom by themselves without a certified teacher). The writer discribes the regimentation of this program to a tee.What’s sad is that the children in the summer are the ones needing the most help. Instead, they are placed in a classroom with people who have no experience teaching or working with children. Although I was expected to sit in the back and simply observe, I had to get involved several times when the inexperience of these candidates resulted in 


How Reform Destroyed My School

This reader will not be silent.
I had a principal who stood up for teachers and students. She had 29 years experience, 11 years as a principal at this school. She was forced to “retire” one year short of full vestment or face firing because we failed to meet our AYP goal by 7 points one year and 5 points the year before.The school maintained a “B” grade from the state for 4 out of 7 years (the grade was “C” the other 3) and the year she was fired we actually missed AYP by only 3 points (special education and ELL students made AYP) making marked progress every single year in every single category. This all happened in a school with the largest special education 


Advice to a New Teacher

I never tell teachers how to teach. But I listen when experienced teachers offer good advice. Here is some that just was posted as a comment to an aspiring teacher:
…absolutely keep listening to those mentors. You learn so much in your education preparation program, and then you learn so much more on the job. I remember feeling woefully underprepared for teaching after I graduated. I learned more by doing than I had learned in my undergraduate classes, but the most important lessons I learned in college were from my cooperating teachers. They were invaluable resources.
Teaching is a people-centric act. We are taught to teach lessons, but what we are really doing is preparing 



Why I’m On Your Side

I was asked to contribute to a blog collection about teachers.
This is what I wrote:
http://teacherpoetmusicianglenbrown.blogspot.com/2012/07/im-on-your-side-by-diane-ravitch.html


How Can We Cure Very, Very Sick Public Policy?

A teacher in Philadelphia wrote a terrific article explaining why her school is “incredible.”
The state labeled it “low-performing.”
Now her students will be allowed to “escape” to another school.
But, she points out,
A staggering 95 percent of our students come from poor families, nearly 30 percent are learning English, and at least 16 percent have special needs. You will never hear me use those numbers as excuses, though. I tell