Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

An Urban Teacher's Education: Why Zero Tolerance School Discipline Schemes in Low-Income Schools Are So Inappropriate

An Urban Teacher's Education: Why Zero Tolerance School Discipline Schemes in Low-Income Schools Are So Inappropriate:


Why Zero Tolerance School Discipline Schemes in Low-Income Schools Are So Inappropriate

On Sunday I posted my review of Kathleen Nolan's bookPolice in the Hallways. Originally, I had intended for the post to be much longer, but as I reread it, I realized much of what I'd included was less about the book and more a discussion about factors that motivate students' oppositional behavior. Therefore, to ensure the book review remained a book review, I cut much of it out. So I'd like to use this post as an opportunity to share those thoughts, most of which were inspired by Nolan's book, which, again, I highly recommend.

Why Zero Tolerance School Discipline Schemes in Low-Income Schools Are So Inappropriate

In Police in the Hallways, Kathleen Nolan describes how a "culture of control" gets along with the poorly performing large urban high school. Her study implies that the punitive measures accompanying NCLB, zero