Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 29, 2012

Conservatives: Saving America's Youth From "Overeducation" | OurFuture.org

Conservatives: Saving America's Youth From "Overeducation" | OurFuture.org:


Conservatives: Saving America's Youth From "Overeducation"

Now that our "do nothing" Congress is finally set to "do something" to stop interest on student loans from doubling, I think I’ve finally figured out what motivates conservatives on education in general, and conservative opposition to student loans in general. Conservatives are fighting to save our children - your children, my children, America’s children - from a fate worse than collective bargaining. Conservatives are fighting to save America’s youth from being "overeducated."
Say what? "Overeducated"? What does that even mean? I used to think it meant having more education than available jobs require; like the students graduating off a cliff, into a market where most of the jobs being created are low wage jobs, as jobs in the middle of the income and skill spectrum are hollowed by the recession. In other words, I used to think "overeducated" was the flip-side of "underemployed."
Then, Rush Limbaugh set me straight.
That’s right. The truth was revealed to me by Rush Limbaugh, when he followed up his attack on Sandra Fluke