Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Teachers Need Trust and Security - NYTimes.com

Teachers Need Trust and Security - NYTimes.com:


Each Teacher Wonders, Is This the One?

A WEEK and a half ago, the day after the school shooting near Cleveland, a student stood in the doorway of my Bronx college classroom. He was eating half a bagel with cream cheese. It was a month into the semester, 45 minutes into the class period. I didn’t remember ever having seen him before.

Related

He had been staring into my room, watching us through the small rectangular window next to the heavy metal door. He seemed to be looking for something. I motioned to him. He opened the door and said he wanted to talk to me.
I was tight on time, trying to finish discussing a chapter before giving a test the next time the class met, so I