Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Engaging #Parents In School… - Parents & Homework

Engaging Parents In School… - Parents & Homework:

Parents & Homework

Here’s an excerpt from an interesting new study on parents and homework (you can read more about it here):

Parents who want to improve their child’s motivation to complete homework this school year need to change their own attitude and behavior, according to a new study by Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) researchers.

In the study published in Learning and Individual Differences, BGU researchers found that if parents had a more positive, supportive attitude and communicated the learning value as motivation, rather than focusing on completing an assignment or getting a higher grade, then the child’s attitude and motivation would improve.

This study might provide some “grist” for a good conversation with parents…..


Follow-Up Study To Famous “Marshmallow” Experiment Released This Week

Many educators are familiar with the famous marshmallow experiment designed to test self-control



Best “Tweets” Of 2011 — So Far

Every month I make a short list highlighting my choices of the best resources I shared through (and learned from) Twitter, but didn’t necessarily include them in posts here on my blog.

I thought it might be useful for both readers of this blog and for me to review those monthly lists and pick a few that I think are the very best “tweets” of the year. I’ll publish a final list in late December.

If you don’t use Twitter, you can also check-out all of my “tweets” on my Twitter profile page or subscribe to their RSS feed.

You might also be interested in:

Best “Tweets” Of 2010

Best “Tweets” Of 2009

Here are my choices for The Best “Tweets” Of 2011:

A Must-See Site For Social Studies Teachers

As regular readers know, I write a lot about using online learning games with students. In fact, if you go to my page listing all 760 “The Best…” lists you’ll see many under “Games.”

But Canadian secondary Social Studies teacher Mike Farley has gone far beyond my sharing of


“Knowble Articles” Are Worth A Look

Knowble Articles is a free site for people learning a number of languages, including English.

First, you take a relatively quick forty question test to let them evaluate your present level in the language you want to learn. Next, you’re provided a variety of articles to read that are aligned with the