Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 1, 2011

For The New Teacher: How To Handle Race In The Classroom | The Jose Vilson

For The New Teacher: How To Handle Race In The Classroom | The Jose Vilson:

For The New Teacher: How To Handle Race In The Classroom

by JOSE on SEPTEMBER 1, 2011

Other People's Children by Lisa Delpit

Today, I had the pleasure of addressing staff members for the Nativity New York Schools orientation at Regis High School today. Anyone who knows me knows I went Xavier, so there’s a certain tension going into “enemy” territory. Nonetheless, I found the energy of the crowd refreshing, and I also knew how much I needed to reciprocate. Blame it on having the after-lunch slot for my presentation.

In any case, I left a list of books I thought the audience should read (if they haven’t) that would help them get better as educators:

  • Other People’s Children by Lisa Delpit
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night-Time by Mark Haddon