Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 12, 2011

Final Friday. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Final Friday. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Final Friday.

Today is the final Friday of my last summer break.

Next Friday my final teaching year begins with one of those Institute Days: A morning motivational speaker and an afternoon of meetings, with folders, hand-outs, checklists and schedules. For all the talk of technology that goes on in schools these days, we still sure do get a shit-load of crap on paper.

I am looking forward to my friend and colleague’s speech on opening day. Erin Breen is our local union President. Her position entitles her to time on the morning agenda. I know she has been thinking about the difficulties and pleasures of being a teacher in the Reform Era. Her speech will doubtlessly be a rare substantive moment.

It is a beautiful summer morning. Ulysses and I are sitting outside the bakery on Logan Boulevard. I am so