Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Daily Kos: the earthquake in school and afterwards

Daily Kos: the earthquake in school and afterwards:

the earthquake in school and afterwards

It was 7th period, which is (believe it or not) the final lunch of the day, including mine. After having done hall duty for the first ten minutes I had headed to the media center to scan and send something. I was sitting at a computer when I felt the first shake, which I immediately knew was an earthquake. Then it started to shake more violently and some ceiling tiles fell. Within a minute of the first shaking the office came on the loudspeaker and told people to evacuate immediately.

I went by my room and grabbed my personal computer, just in case we would not get back in the building.

Rules about cell phones were out the window - everyone was on their trying to get information, so as a result I found it impossible to get a signal. I put my computer in my trunk and turned on the all news station, which informed me it was a 5.8 centered in Mineral Virginia - I know the area well, about which more anon.

After about 20 minutes the principal made the decision to move everyone to the football field. By then I had grabbed an umbrella to use as cover from the sun - I burn somewhat easily, even with freshly applied sunblock.

On the way to the field I heard that we had had several waterpipes break, and I was fairly sure we would neither return to the building for the end of school nor be in the building today.

More below.