Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Internet and My Tale of Two Crises | Lefty Parent

The Internet and My Tale of Two Crises | Lefty Parent

The Internet and a Tale of Two Crises

The Internet is our most dynamic new societal institution, developing quickly over the past 25 years from “Web 1.0” (providing static web pages with existing content) to“Web 2.0” (providing interactive environments for building connections between people, facilitating other societal institutions, and the “marketplace of ideas”). I think this is a good example, a good metaphor, for the direction we are moving (and should continue to move) in our entire society and its institutions, from top-down dissemination and control, to a more egalitarian exchange between a circle of equals.

Trying to look back thoughtfully on the last 25 years of my own life (my years coincidentally as a parent) it is