Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 16, 2011

How Do We Separate “Being Dumb” from “Being Cool?” « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

How Do We Separate “Being Dumb” from “Being Cool?” « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

How Do We Separate “Being Dumb” from “Being Cool?”

This morning I was sitting at the table, eating breakfast with my teenage son and his friend. We were talking, (This is why I eat meals at the table any chance I get), and the topic turned to the use of the “N” word, which led to who uses it and who doesn’t. That discussion led to my son informing me that some students in his school call him “white.” His refusal to lower himself academically makes me proud because I have tried to instill in him a sense of dignity, pride, and most of all, knowledge that being intelligent is not a crime.

As an African-American girl, I too was subjected to the same ridicule,. I will never forget using the word “prerogative” and being mocked for days. Did I