Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Stepford Wives of Race to the Top: Our PTA | Seattle Education

The Stepford Wives of Race to the Top: Our PTA | Seattle Education

The Stepford Wives of Race to the Top: Our PTA

My Day with the PTA

This is going to be one of those long ones, so get yourself a cup of coffee or hot tea and get comfortable.

Because of my interest in education and legislation, I volunteered to be the PTA Legislative chair at my daughter’s school. That was almost two years ago. I followed what was going on and reported back to the membership. That was easy. I do remember that the Seattle Council Legislative VP, Heidi Bennett, seemed a tad bit over the top about Race to the Top but at the time I thought that was her personal view. She did seem to be pushing it a bit too much after a while but again, I couldn’t imagine that this had anything to do with the PTA but possibly another organization that she might have been a part of like the Alliance for Education or the imaginary Our Schools’ Coalition. I had no idea that she was following an edict by way of the PTA, not until Friday, October 8, 2010 when I