Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Social Media Conundrum | Connected Principals

The Social Media Conundrum | Connected Principals

The Social Media Conundrum

A slightly altered version of this post entitled “The Social Media Time Debate” can be found at the Huffington Post

There has been a great deal of discussion lately as to the necessity of Administrators utilizing social media as a part of their professional practice. There was even a comment on the Facebook page that I manage for my high school stating that I spend too much time on Twitter. With all of the positives that I feel are associated with social media, and no matter how I utilize various mediums in a professional manner, there seems to always be a large number of skeptics. It is obvious that they do not take the time to read the content that I either create or share, which is quite frustrating. Nor do they care to engage me in a discussion as to why I spend valuable time with Twitter or my blog.

Back to the real topic of my post, which is time allocation. To get a flavor of some views on this, please check out these fantastic posts on the topic by some of my colleagues that I have come to know and respect through Twitter:

Let’s face it, we can all agree that we could use more time in the day. As an administrator, during the school day I