Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: UW and TFA - Part One

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: UW and TFA - Part One

UW and TFA - Part One

Let me take you on my UW/TFA journey for the last several months.
After the Board decided SPS just HAD to give TFA the ability to come into the district, I realized they had not announced a higher ed sponsor (which they needed). In January, I contacted the College of Education at UW whose dean, Tom Stritikus, is the first TFA alum to head a college of education. There was an exchange of e-mails and a date and time set up for a meeting complete with a faculty member (his call). But it never happened as his aide called and said there was a family issue and he couldn't make it.

That's fine so I politely waited two months. I called again and this time his aide was out on jury duty and no one else could make the appointment (really). But, I never heard from the aide again.

I contacted UW's Communications who really couldn't say much about it but that I should talk to the communications person in the College (who I didn't know existed). I was somewhat irritated by then so I contacted the Vice-Provost whose office "lost" my e-mail so I re-sent it. Seeing a pattern?