Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 19, 2011

ASCD Inservice: When Teaching to the Test Works

ASCD Inservice: When Teaching to the Test Works

When Teaching to the Test Works

RajagopalHeadshotTeaching to the test is not wrong if the test allows students to demonstrate learning. I train my students to ace big tests by demonstrating daily mastery, much like football teams practice and scrimmage for the big game. Here's why it works:

  1. My tests measure learning through a combination of multiple-choice and short essay questions. Short essay questions ask students to explain their thinking so that I can assess what they really know and what I need to reteach.
  2. I only test what students know. The test is a reflection of the exit price assignments. And since I make sure students succeed on the exit price assignments, they are naturally prepared to do well on the test. If I have not made sure students can actually do a certain concept, I have no business putting that concept on a test. There is no pride in giving tests that many students fail!
  3. I frequently expose students to test-question models and language in the exit price. It is not fair to teach content in English and then give a test in Chinese. If students get lost in a maze of unfamiliar or distracting