Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Daily Kos: Time - a reflection on its dimensions

Daily Kos: Time - a reflection on its dimensions

Time - a reflection on its dimensions

There are different ways of looking at time. I can consider the task of a work week. I can look at my calender for the month. Each year has some kind of demarcation to it, with the cycle of anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays.

I can take it to a finer level of detail. How will I use the 45 minutes a class of students will spend in my room? Taking attendance, giving directions, providing opportunity for them to explore unplanned ideas.

I can obsess about getting stuck in traffic - adding 5-15 minutes to a daily commute, which can matter if I am cutting things close on my arrival for a specific responsibility. Or I can use that same time to let go and reflect.

Monday is a significant demarcation for me. It used to be the age at which most people retire, 65, although I shall not. On a smaller scale, since the last external deliverable for my students is a state test tomorrow, it begins a different part of the school year, when I introduce them to their final projects, which tend to unleash their creative juices and I begin to really see what they have learned and can do.

It will also represent a new start. Perhaps that seems odd, as I am not retiring at the end of this year. And yet each birthday seems as if it is yet another opportunity.

To look forward, I must reflect backwards.

Again I do so today. Reflecting on time in its many elements.