Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

First Anniversary of Blog: Thank You � Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice
First Anniversary of Blog: Thank You � Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

First Anniversary of Blog: Thank You

Dear Readers,

This post marks my first anniversary as a blogger. I want to thank those readers who regularly read my twice-weekly posts, those who have dipped into them occasionally, those who have subscribed to the post, and finally those who have taken the time to write thoughtful comments. Over 56,000 people from around the world have clicked on to the blog since August 2009. Not exactly viral but, for me, most gratifying.

For the 114 posts I have written this past year, I have followed three rules:

1. Write less than 800 words.

2. Write clearly on school reform and classroom practice.

3. Take a position and back it up with evidence.

For anyone who blogs or writes often, I want to say that sticking to these rules has been no easy task. Yet after a year, it has been very satisfying. I remain highly motivated to write about policymakers, administrators, teachers, and students–all who inhabit the policy-to-practice continuum–and all who in different ways, with varied ideas, seek to improve schooling.

To me, writing is a form of teaching and learning. The learning part comes from figuring out what I want to say on