Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sunshine on College Credit Card Contracts � The Quick and the Ed

Sunshine on College Credit Card Contracts � The Quick and the Ed


QUICK Hits



Sunshine on College Credit Card Contracts

Though computers and e-mail were widespread by the time I entered college in the fall of 2003, the major throwback to increasingly outdated technology was a landline phone number that my school provided to everyone who lived on campus. Because cell reception in my freshman dorm was pretty spotty, my roommate and I decided it made sense to get a cordless phone to use from time to time.
The phone mostly went unused through the first few months of the semester, but we suddenly started getting a constant barrage of phone calls, starting at the inconvenient for college student hour of 9 a.m. and continuing throughout the day. What was strange was the person on the other end always knew to ask for either my roommate or myself–something I found curious since the numbers are randomly assigned to new people