Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 9, 2010

Schools Matter: A Teacher in Florida

Schools Matter: A Teacher in Florida

A Teacher in Florida

by Jamee Cagle Miller
2009 Seminole County Teacher of the Year


This poem has reached the office of a Senator and may be read at the next voting of the bill (if it gets back to the senate). It is in the hands of the Orlando Sentinal and could be published there.
She wrote the words many of us want to shout out:-)

I am a Teacher in Florida.

I rise before dawn each day and find myself nestled in my classroom hours before the morning commute is in full swing in downtown Orlando. I scour the web along with countless other resources to create meaningful learning experiences for my 24 students each day. I reflect on the successes of lessons taught and re-work ideas until I feel confident that they will meet the needs of my diverse learners. I have finished my third cup of coffee in my