Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 9, 2010

Financial Aid Rewards Those Who Do Everything Wrong (Sometimes) - Perdaily.com

Financial Aid Rewards Those Who Do Everything Wrong (Sometimes) - Perdaily.com

Financial Aid Rewards Those Who Do Everything Wrong (Sometimes)

money-fight-burns-smithers-simpsons.jpg
I was raised by a guy who graduated college the month before the Great Depression of 1929 hit. He always felt lucky to have a job and be able to support his family. My dad never quite forgot the insecurity he and his family went through during the 1930s. When we were kids during the 1950s, there was always too much food on the table, which I have come to realize was due to the fact that my father and his generation came from a time when one could not be sure of things as basic as food. My siblings and I would take this for granted.

I have always thought that my generation that came of age in the 1960s was able to ask the big questions about the glaring contradictions in our society between who we said we were and what we actually did, when it came to topics like social justice, war, and racism. We did not have to worry about the things my parent's generation did, because of the security we took for granted from the way we were raised. I didn't have a job pressing pants at 12 years of age like my father did. We had time to play, dream, and think, which allowed us to address the big