Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

A Story About The High Expectations Conversation [The Art of the Professional Insult] | The Jose Vilson

A Story About The High Expectations Conversation [The Art of the Professional Insult] | The Jose Vilson:

A Story About The High Expectations Conversation [The Art of the Professional Insult]

Image result for A Story About The High Expectations Conversation [The Art of the Professional Insult]

“Mr. Vilson, how do you feel about us opting out because I’m thinking about it.”
“Let me tell y’all something, and this is real talk: if you have good grades and decide to opt out of this test, I ain’t mad at you …”
A student grumbled, knowing he had failed almost all of his grades throughout the school year.
“Now wait a minute. If you don’t have good grades and decide to opt out of the test, I’m not mad at you either. You haven’t been given a fair shot to succeed on this test. I’m going to do my absolute best to push you from here on out, but you gotta work with me here. But if you still don’t feel comfortable and opting out if something you and your parent make a conscientious decision about, please do.”
The students, all with different grades, had taken a series of mock tests demanded from on high to give students a sense of how the test might go. Instead of using the time to teach, I’d been asked to give a fake test in preparation for the forthcoming, very real and still fake test. The test might tell me whether they know the answers to the questions given on this test, but, until I see the questions on the test, I have little confidence that it’s assessing what I’m teaching and what they’re learning. Modern-day eugenicists love to say that standardized tests hold us (teachers and students) accountable like never before, but I was under the impression that students and parents do a good job of that already.
Because I don’t teach in ways that satisfy the test-prep advocates, does that make my work here any less urgent?
I could have told this story any time during the last twelve years, really. On a number of occasions, people questioned whether my educational philosophy was grounded in the work necessary to elevate students. Educators, especially with progressive leanings, know the depths to which other adults will go to discard and destroy the tenets to which we abide. They assume that letting students argue among each other is a sign of classroom mismanagement. They see unseated A Story About The High Expectations Conversation [The Art of the Professional Insult] | The Jose Vilson: