Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Daily Kos: My style and philosophy of teaching

Daily Kos: My style and philosophy of teaching:

My style and philosophy of teaching

I have been going through the accumulations of 18 years of teaching and 67 years of life, purging what can be discarded and occasionally discovering things that I had forgotten.
I still had all my papers, notes, tests, etc. as back as taking AP US Government 50 years ago.
I encountered a paper written at the conclusion of my Methods of Teaching course, written in December of 1994, just before I began my student teaching.   I reread it and realized that much of what I thought about teaching as I embarked in my new career has remained constant, even over the better part of two decades.
I also realize that I was a far better writer than I realized.
I no longer seem to have a copy of this electronically.
I am including the ENTIRE paper below the cheese-doodle.  In the frs paragraph I said that I thought my ideas would continue to evolve.  They have, but the basic framework I laid out in this paper, both as to style and philosophy, have remained remarkably constant through more than 17 years, spent in four different schools in two states and the District of Columbia.
I invite you to read what I thought then.
Any additional thoughts I will offer in the first comment.