Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 5, 2013

NYC Educator: Letter to File

NYC Educator: Letter to File:


Letter to File

Dear Ms. Teacher:

On May 1st, I met with you and UFT Chapter Leader Sleepy McBraindead in my office. We discussed your failure to give the required anti-bullying instruction on your class. You admitted openly flaunting a direct order from me to teach anti-bullying. You claimed that anti-bullying lessons were implicit in your instruction of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I directly instructed you not to teach this novel, and to focus more on Common Core non-fiction pieces. I suggested the excellent The History of Cement and 100 Tedious Essays that No One Wishes to Read, but you insisted on teaching the novel, calling it "classic" and "indispensable."

As principal, it is my job to determine what is classic and indispensable, and I have determined that what our students need is direct instruction in our schoolwide anti-bullying campaign. Bullying is absolutely rampant, and we must fight it at all costs. It is unacceptable that you continue to teach things that will not help our students pass Common Core exams, and further unacceptable