Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Wrap-Up of Board Retreat

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Wrap-Up of Board Retreat:


Wrap-Up of Board Retreat

 (This is a quite long wrap-up of the latest Board retreat held this past Saturday.  Not all will want to wade through it but I can say it allowed me to see how the Board is interacting and some issues within the group.  I believe that all seem to have high regard for Superintendent Banda.)

First, I have to say that this was a slightly odd Retreat as I had never been to this venue, The Hub Seattle, before.  The set-up had us sitting in a seating area - with couches and chairs - and I sat as if I were part of the group (normally the visitors sit on the perimeter so I did feel like I was eavesdropping).

As I said before, I was the only outside visitor to the Retreat (unless someone came after 2:30 pm when I left).

What seems difficult to understand is how the Board has given over (nearly all) control to the Alliance about what the retreats will cover.  I don't get it.  As I previously mentioned, Directors Peaslee, DeBell and McLaren all said