Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Trayvon's Mom and My Mom on Protecting Their Kids (Video) | MyFDL

Trayvon's Mom and My Mom on Protecting Their Kids (Video) | MyFDL:


Trayvon’s Mom and My Mom on Protecting Their Kids (Video)

Sybrina Fulton Trayvon Mom Video screen grab
My mom died this month last year. This will be my first Mother’s Day without her.
When I was a little Vulcan going off to school my mother’s last words were always, “Watch out for the cars!” I could see cars and avoid them if I was watching and paying attention.
I wonder what the last words Sybrina Fulton said to Travyon? What could she have said? “Watch out for concealed weapons?”
Below is a video message from Trayvon Martin’s mother urging people to contact their governor to re-examine laws similar to Florida’s “Kill at Will” laws (which the NRA calls “Stand your Ground” laws). The video was put out by my friends at the Second Chance Campaign.
The effort is to re-examine the laws. But I also would like to think that this is a chance to re-examining our attitudes. Think about how attitudes toward drunk driving changed following Mothers Against Drunk Driving