Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Went Through Hell, So I’m Expecting Heaven [On Speaking Up Again] | The Jose Vilson

I Went Through Hell, So I’m Expecting Heaven [On Speaking Up Again] | The Jose Vilson:


I Went Through Hell, So I’m Expecting Heaven [On Speaking Up Again]


Colleague Carrie Kamm commented on my last post with this:
“Something prompted this blog post from you. I am sure these thoughts and ideas have dwelled within you, but I’d love to know what you observed, heard, or felt that made you need to write this post this week. For me, reading Lisa Delpit’s latest book has brought many of these same sentiments to the surface for me in a way that feels more present and urgent.”
She’s probably right. Even after reflecting on the underlying themes of that post, I don’t know exactly what prompted it. I do know it came from a place where people believe all people’s histories, passions, and reasons for coming into this thing we call teaching are the same. It’s almost as if the expectation for teachers now is