Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 17, 2012

Sorry Mr. Press Secretary, Multiple Measures Are Not Fairy Dust - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Sorry Mr. Press Secretary, Multiple Measures Are Not Fairy Dust - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:

Sorry Mr. Press Secretary, Multiple Measures Are Not Fairy Dust

Follow me on Twitter at @AnthonyCody

This week I engaged in another online debate with one of Arne Duncan's press secretaries, Justin Hamilton, who readers may recall asked me to "correct" my commentary a year ago after President Obama inadvertently criticized our over-reliance on standardized tests.

This time Mr. Hamilton took issue with a question I posed in advance of Duncan's latest Twitter Town Hall. I asked, "How can you say that we should not teach to test while NCLB waivers tie teacher & principal evaluations to test scores?"

To this, Hamilton (@edpresssec) replied: "False. Waiver states using multiple measure not testing only."

Obviously, Mr. Hamilton is engaging in some sophistry here, because I never said that test scores were the