Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

NYC Educator: If I Had a Dollar...

NYC Educator: If I Had a Dollar...:

If I Had a Dollar...

...for every time I had to tell a kid to take his/her (usually his) hood or hat off, I'd be retired already. I've already had to do it today, in fact.

Our school does not allow hoods or hats to be worn inside. We have a pretty relaxed dress code otherwise; this seems to be the battle that we've decided to fight. I don't particularly mind this rule; I see where the deans are coming from, for example, when they say it's a safety and security concern. While my school is pretty safe, we do have metal detectors, and I have to admit that they're there for a reason. So I get that.

On the other hand, it gets pretty frustrating, and I can say