Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 9, 2012

Philip Kovacs: Research Suggests Teach For America Does Not Belong in Huntsville - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Philip Kovacs: Research Suggests Teach For America Does Not Belong in Huntsville - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:

Philip Kovacs: Research Suggests Teach For America Does Not Belong in Huntsville

Guest post by Philip Kovacs.

Two months ago Anthony Cody graciously allowed me to publish the results of my investigations into Teach for America's "research." You can read those pieces here and here.

I would like to offer some closure to my investigation by providing interested parties with a brief discussion of some material left off of TFA's "research page." I need to acknowledge here that I am not the first to point out this contradictory research.

Prominent bloggers and researchers have been picking apart TFA for almost a decade. Their collective work undermines and negates TFA's claim that "A large and growing body of independent research shows that Teach For America corps members make as much of an impact on student achievement as veteran teachers."

Larry Ferlazzo offers an extensive list of links to blogs, newspaper pieces, and magazine articles for those interested in spending a few days reading about issues surrounding the TFA. My focus here, however, is on