Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 11, 2011

Senior knowledge. « Fred Klonsky

Senior knowledge. « Fred Klonsky:

Senior knowledge.

I’m not sure how many teachers are retiring with me in June.

It’s the third year of our three-year collective bargaining agreement. There are some bargained perks for those who choose to retire during the life of this contract. It’s a good deal for the board since those of us higher up on the salary schedule will be replaced with new lower-paid teachers.

Since nobody knows if those retirement perks will be in the next CBA, a higher than usual number of teachers are expected to join me as members of IEA-Retired.

What it saves the district in money, it will cost the district in knowledge and experience. Hundreds of years of experience.

When I called this senior knowledge the person I was talking to didn’t like that term. Some people my age get