Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Resources I’m Using to Talk About Black Friday Violence « Outside the Cave #ows

Resources I’m Using to Talk About Black Friday Violence « Outside the Cave:

Resources I’m Using to Talk About Black Friday Violence

My lesson on Monday will ask students to think about the values of capitalism and democracy through the lens of looking at Black Friday and UC Davis violence. I hope some of the resources will be helpful to others.

Do Now: What is the message that the creator of this image is trying to communicate? What is your reaction to it? (4 minutes)

Ask students to turn to the person next to them and share what they wrote. Then, ask for three volunteers to share what their partner had to say. (6 minutes)

Getting Started: Tell students we’re going to talk about the values shown by Americans who took certain actions over the past couple of weeks. As a class, construct a KWL chart for the term “Black Friday” (5