Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: Advanced Learning

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: Advanced Learning:

Advanced Learning

This is likely to be one of my last posts on Advanced Learning. Oh, not because I'm not interested or don't care. But frankly, I'm tired of caring. I'm tired of waiting for this district to at least have a program that is coherent and easy to understand. So I'm done on advocating on this topic in any big way.

This comes on the heels of having a small discussion with Dr. Enfield about Spectrum and then a longer meeting with Dr. Vaughn (the head of Advanced Learning) and Roger Daniels, consulting teacher. These were good conversations and I did feel like they were listening. But I don't think they really care that the program makes sense to parents.


I asked Dr. Enfield about the issues around the changes made at Spectrum programs at Wedgwood and Lawton AFTER open enrollment had ended. (Noel Treat was at this meeting and listened quite attentively - poor guy, I don't think Susan and I gave him much of a chance to speak.) I told them that it seemed like a bait-and-switch