Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

All Education Matters: Despondent Mother: "We are about to face a two-generation indentured educated class"

All Education Matters: Despondent Mother: "We are about to face a two-generation indentured educated class":

Despondent Mother: "We are about to face a two-generation indentured educated class"

Sensationally smart. Wicked sense of humor. Loving. Deeply religious and caring. These are a few words that come to mind when describing my friend who is a devoted mother and an indentured educated citizen. We have exchanged emails for years, and I have now been invited to her home. She lives far north, where the weather still seems normal. When Texas was on its god-knows-what-day of endless 107+ degree temperatures this past summer, this kind woman told me I was more than welcome to escape and come stay with her. She sends me deeply moving and profound notes all the time, and one recently hit me quite hard. Someone who uses words that can make you cry one moment and then laugh the next . . . that person's words must be shared - I'd be selfish to keep these powerful comments to myself.

Who is she exactly? She is you. She is me. She is all of us.

She is fearful. She is indebted. She is well-educated. She is worried about her children's futures. She is angry.