Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 1, 2011

Teachers Have It Good « Cooperative Catalyst

Teachers Have It Good « Cooperative Catalyst

Teachers Have It Good

I wake up in the morning excited for the school day, not just in the first week, but year-round. I get to be creative. I get to have autonomy. I get to watch students grow in their wisdom and in their character. I get to challenge presuppositions and have students challenge me (I’ve been using the hash tag #thingsmystudentstaughtme to list a few of these). I get to paint murals and film documentaries as the collective voice of each class grows stronger. I get an insane amount of free Takis and pick-up games of basketball and debates about the meaning of truth and language.

I get to make a difference, even when it feels like I’m not making a difference.

Don’t get me wrong. Teaching is difficult. Everything from the tiny, annoying discipline issues to the tragic